Electricity can be extremely useful but also very dangerous. Here are a few points to keep in mind while you are inside your home.
- Never put your finger or anything other than an electrical plug in an outlet.
- Have any loose-fitting plugs fixed by an electrician.
- Don’t force a plug into an outlet if it won’t fit.
- Replace broken plates on outlets and switches so that no wiring is exposed.
- Use safety covers on all outlets accessible to children.
- Inspect all cords and wiring on a regular basis for broken or frayed insulation.
- Immediately repair or replace unsafe cords.
- Do NOT cut off ground prongs as this will eliminate the protection grounded cords provide.
- Only use extension cords on a temporary basis, not as a substitute for permanent wiring.
- Limit the number of appliances plugged into each outlet.
- Pay attention to avoid any situation which might cut the insulation on a cord, exposing bare wiring or causing it to overheat.
Safety Tips for Around Your Home
- Before using an extension cord outside or in a wet area, confirm that the cord is rated for outdoor use and make sure the cord is grounded.
- Never touch an electrical cable lying on the ground as it is virtually impossible to tell whether or not it is live, or energized. Report downed wires to GEBE immediately.
- Do not use lightweight extension cords, intended for indoor use, outdoors. Indoor cords are not designed for use in damp areas.
- Take care not to cut the power cord when working with electrically powered cutting tools outdoors. These include lawn mowers, hedge clippers, chain saws and trimmers.
- Avoid damp or wet areas when using electrical power tools outdoors.
- Exercise caution when using ladders, painting, pruning or cleaning near any overhead lines. Weatherproofing on the overhead wiring is not insulation. This covering can become brittle and cracked, exposing you to electrical contact.
- Use extreme caution around swimming pools. Don’t use electrical appliances or route electrical cords near pools.